Joppa Flats Education Center
Joppa Flats Education Center's Team Page
I retired from Mass Audubon three years ago. My twenty years as Sanctuary Director at Joppa Flats were the most rewarding time in my career. It was hard for me to leave a place that I loved so much and the people – volunteers, staff, and participants - that made our Center such a vibrant community.
As it turns out, however, I really didn't leave. Fortunately, David Moon asked me to lead travel programs for Joppa Flats and teach classes. Continuing a program that Dr. David Larson and I started over 15 years ago, I just returned from 11 days in Belize where I taught two Introduction to Ornithology workshops to aspiring naturalist guides.
Obviously, I care very much for Mass Audubon and its mission. I hope that you will join me by supporting Joppa Flats with a generous gift to this year's Bird-a-thon.
Choose a Way to Help!
Does environmental education need support more than it ever has? If your answer is yes, then please help!
- Donate! To participate in Bird-a-thon, simply make a tax deductible gift right now. Send a check to Joppa Flats, call Joppa Flats with a credit card, or go online to http://web.massaudubon.org/goto/joppaflats and click on the gold "Donate Now" button to make your gift.
- Raise money! Take a step further, and boost Bird-a-thon’s benefits to Joppa Flats by spreading the word to friends and family about how they can donate. Visit www.massaudubon.org/birdathon to create your own fundraising page.
- Count birds! We can use your help with birding, too. Call me if you’d like to set up a sub-team and bird Essex County on Joppa’s behalf. Also, you can bird with the Joppa Flats Bird-a-thon Madness effort on May 11, with leaders David Moon, Susan Hardy, and me. Register online or call Joppa Flats if you’d like to join us.
Your Gift is Meaningful!
It helps us:
- Teach thousands of school children every year.
- Offer a deep and diverse curriculum of birding education to thousands of adults every year.
- Operate a Bird Banding Station on Plum Island every spring and fall.
- Reach out to our entire diverse community with free events and programs, such as Meet Beach Creatures, Meet Backyard Birds, and intern programs that train our next generation of leaders.
- Offer much-needed financial aid to families who want to participate in our wonderful summer camp programs.
On behalf of Sanctuary Director David Moon and the Joppa Flats Education Center staff, not to mention all of the people who experience birding, bird banding, marine science, and the profound joys of our natural world via Joppa Flats, I very much appreciate whatever donation you can make. Bird-a-thon is critical to the annual fiscal success for Joppa Flats. If you have questions, please call me. Thank you.
Joppa Flats Education Center Founding Director & Bird-a-thon Captain