Mark Faherty's 2019 Bird-a-Thon Page!
Hi Folks, and welcome to my 2019 Bird-a-thon fundraising page for Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary! We are competing against all other sanctuaries for birding AND fundraising glory, plus the donations keep me in a job. So help me out! The photo at right is my son Beckett, 14 months, accompanying me on a recent birding hike. You're never too young to start birding!
Bird-a-thon is Mass Audubon's annual birding blitzkrieg to see how many species we can count in 24 hours, and all the money I raise will go directly to our sanctuary to be used on projects like:
- Bird Banding: Giving kids and adults the experience of seeing birds and bird research up close and personal
- Coastal Waterbird Protection and Research that directly protects nesting areas for Piping Plovers, Least Terns, and American Oystercatchers
- The Cape Cod Osprey Project: our citizen science project monitoring the health of our Cape Osprey population
- Our horseshoe crab population research, including a new sonic telemetry study we are undertaking this year in conjuntion with UMass Amherst
- Our diamondback terrapin and sea turtle conservation programs that save literally hundreds to thousands of endangered turtles every year
In addition, the funds raised help us continue to provide top-notch environmental education experiences for the 7,000 young people we reach every year with our day camp, in school, and after school programs.
Many thanks for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too! A flat donation is easiest, but to make a pledge per species, please visit: www.massaudubon.org/birdathon