Peggy's Bird-a-thon Appeal
From May 12-13, over 750 people from all over Massachusetts will focus on nature by participating in Mass Audubon’s annual Bird-a-thon fundraiser.
This will be my 8th Bird-a-thon competition. Non-birders (that is, many of my friends) ask me why I bird. Here are just a few reasons:
- Birding is FUN!
- Birding gets me outside and into nature, even when the weather is bad.
- Birding gives me an excuse to travel. (We were in Cuba in February.)
- Birding is social; I’ve made many new friends on the trails.
- Birding develops one’s vocabulary; for example: riparian, precocial, crepuscular, pied.
- Birding is exercise. (Not really.)
- Birding keeps me in touch with nature and helps me understand our role as stewards of the environment.
Why I’m raising money for Mass Audubon’s Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary:
- Have you been there? It’s beautiful – and worth protecting.
- I love Wellfleet Oysters, and the sanctuary works to keep the bay, harbor, and marshes clean and healthy for shellfish, fish, birds, other wildlife, and people.
- The sanctuary delivers science education directly into elementary and middle school classrooms across the Cape, cultivating the next generation of environmental stewards.
- Wellfleet’s bird-banding program collects research on migrating birds so that we can do a better job of protecting them as they fly hundreds (or thousands) of miles from their winter to summer homes and back again.
Your donation to Bird-a-thon will ensure that vital programs such as these will continue at a time when the environment needs all the help we can give it.
Thank you in advance for your support!