Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
Wellfleet's Team Page
On May 12-13, our team of dedicated birders and supporters will participate in Mass Audubon’s annual Bird-a-thon fundraiser.
The centerpiece of Bird-a-thon is a 24-hour birding competition where we will compete with other Mass Audubon sanctuaries to see which one can identify the most species of birds. Bird-a-thon serves as a reminder of the variety and abundance of wildlife that surrounds us. By donating to Bird-a-thon, you are supporting The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary's efforts to protect and steward the environment of Cape Cod and Massachusetts through conservation, education, and advocacy.
There are many great reasons to support our team:
- You love the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, don't you? It's where you take long walks. It's where your kids (or grandkids) go to summer camp. It's where you or your neighbors volunteer. It's YOUR sanctuary.
- Our birders are people you know -- for example, the dedicated ladies of "The Lame Ducks"; the Dynamic Duo of Mark and Brian Faherty; our Berkshire Team led by Ivan and John; our Boston-based "Bird Nerds"; the enthusiastic educators of "Team Pamet" -- just to name a few. Look for your friends' names, and contribute directly to their fundraising pages.
- Our educators deliver hands-on science instruction to classrooms across the Cape -- and take students from the classroom into the field where they can apply what they have learned.
- Our Bird Banding station contributes to science by collecting data on the many bird species passing through the sanctuary during spring and fall migration and offers visitors a rare chance to observe birds at close range.
- Our team of volunteer "Citizen Scientists" help to protect biodiversity. They monitor horseshoe crabs, box turtles, eels, and shorebirds. They protect the nests of threatened diamondback terrapins, and they rescue cold-stunned sea turtles.
Your contributions to Bird-a-thon help keep conservation and education programs like these going -- programs that benefit adults, children, families, AND wildlife. Our team goal is $15,000. Please help us reach our goal and support this important work by making a donation in any amount to a member of the Wellfleet Bay Bird-a-thon Team.
WE THANK YOU!