Joppa Flats Education Center
Joppa flats Education Center's Team Page
Mass Audubon’s Bird-a-thon fundraiser is coming May 11 & 12, and it is crucial to the success of Joppa Flats Education Center!
I’m reminded of 1998, when I was trying to organize the very first Joppa Flats Bird-a-thon, and I met a couple of well-known birders on the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. How lucky was I when Lois Cooper and Doug Chickering said, “Sure, we’ll help!” For twenty springs, the Cooper-Chickering team scoured Essex County during Bird-a-thon, racking up impressive numbers of bird species in support of Joppa Flats. Our hearts broke when Lois passed away earlier this year. In her memory, Doug is organizing a special new team for this year’s Bird-a-thon to keep his tradition with Lois alive. We are deeply grateful to Doug and Lois for their dedicated support of Joppa Flats, and we hope you will join them by participating in Bird-a-thon in whatever way you can.
Your Gift is Meaningful! It helps us:
• Teach thousands of school children every year.
• Offer a deep and diverse curriculum of birding education to thousands of adults every year.
• Operate a Bird Banding Station on Plum Island every spring and fall.
• Reach out to our entire diverse community with free events and programs, such as Meet Beach Creatures, school vacation Free-for-Alls, and intern programs that train our next generation of leaders.
• Offer much-needed financial aid to families who want to participate in our wonderful summer camp programs.
On behalf of Sanctuary Director David Moon and the Joppa Flats Education Center staff, not to mention all of the people who experience birding, bird banding, marine science, and the profound joys of our natural world via Joppa Flats, I very much appreciate whatever donation you can make. Bird-a-thon is critical to the annual fiscal success for Joppa Flats. If you have questions, please call me. Thank you.
Joppa Flats Education Center’s Founding Director and Bird-a-thon Captain