Arcadia and the Connecticut River Valley Sanctuaries
Arcadia and the Connectiuct River Valley Sanctuaries Team Page
Make a difference in the Pioneer Valley. Support our Valley team.
Bird-a-thon is an annual competition of bird-spotting held across Massachusetts. Teams compete by identifying as many bird species as possible in a 24-hour period over May 15 - 16, and raising money to make Arcadia's work possible. In 2018 and 2019 our team won the County Cup, a prize for counting the most species in one county relative to a county par.
Help Protect, Educate, and Act in the Pioneer Valley
A gift to Bird-A-Thon make possible all our work to protect land, educate about the environment, and act to address climate change. Some examples:
When we meet our fundraising goal will be able to maintain our current work to….
• Protect ~ 140 of acres of grasslands in the Arcadia meadows for Bobolinks, American Kestrels, and Eastern Meadowlark. Annual cost: $11,200. Price per acre: $80
• Educate ~ Programs serving over 4,000 students from schools across the Valley. Annual cost: $10,000. Cost for one field trip for a Holyoke third-grade class of 20: $550.
• Act ~ Charging station in the Arcadia parking lot for zero-emissions electric vehicles. Annual cost: $1,500. Cost per week: $29.
If we exceed our fundraising goal we will be able to do additional work to ….
• Protect ~ Prepare to purchase additional parcels of land currently in private ownership in the meadows by growing our land protection fund by $100,000
• Educate ~ Serve additional schools in Springfield with a Naturalist in Residence providing programming to a whole grade level: $10,000
• Act ~ Reduce our buildings carbon emissions by 5000 lbs annually by installing heat pumps in the Arcadia Schoolhouse: $14,000
How You Can Make a Difference: Be a Booster
The biggest impact you can make during Bird-a-thon is to be a Booster for the Valley team. As a Booster you use your personal network to connect new people to Arcadia and our important work in the Pioneer Valley. Ask your friends and family to support a mission that you believe in. Boosters can have any size goal, even $25 helps. Common goals are $100 (5 gifts of $20) or $500 (10 gifts of $50).
Why be a Booster? You can make a real difference. You will have a positive and direct impact on increaing our work in the Pioneer Valley. Plus there are two bonuses:
- Raise $100 - receive a Bird-a-thon t-shirt.
- Raise $250 - receive an invitation to a expert-led birding outing here in the Valley.
- Raise $500 - receive an invitation to a Mass Audbon expert-led birding outing in eastern Mass.
Click "Join Team" on the right to become a Booster.
How You Can Make a Difference: Be a Supporter
You can also simply give a gift to the team. Donations of $28 or $80 or $550 all support our work in Pioneer Valley as described above.
Click "Donate Now" on the right to support our team.
If you would prefer to send a check, make it out to Mass Audubon Arcadia and mail to Jonah Keane, Arcadia Bird-a-thon Team, 127 Combs Rd, Easthampton, MA 01027.
New to Birding or to Fundraising? No Problem!
Join us for Birding & Bird-A-Thon Basics on Thursday, May 7th at 6:30pm or Saturday, May 9th at 7am to learn all you need to get started. The program is free, but we will accept donations for Bird-A-Thon. Call 413-584-3009 to register.
Want to be an official birder on the Arcadia team?
Send an email to Patti Steinman: email@example.com. The Valley team will only be birding in Hampshire County (instead of the entire state) to reduce the carbon emissions of our team.
Please show your support of our Pioneer Valley team!